In Review / In Press
- Suraci JP, Frank LG, Oriol-Cotterill A, Ekwanga S, Williams TM, Wilmers CC (in review) Behavior-specific habitat selection by African lions may promote their persistence in a human-dominated landscape. Ecology.
- Smith JA, Suraci JP, Clinchy M, Crawford A, Roberts DJ, Zanette LY, Wilmers CC (2017) Fear of the human 'super predator' reduces feeding time in large carnivores. Proceedings of the Royal Society B. 284:20170433.
- Wilmers CC, Isbell LA, Suraci JP, Williams TM (2017) Energetics-informed behavioral states reveal the drive to kill in African leopards. Ecosphere. 8(6):e01850. [PDF]
- Suraci JP, Clinchy M, Roberts DJ, Zanette LY (2017) Eavesdropping in solitary large carnivores: Black bears advance and vocalize toward cougar playbacks. Ethology. doi.org/10.1111/eth.12631. [PDF]
- Media Coverage: Scientific American Podcast
- Suraci JP, Clinchy M, Zanette LY (2017) Do large carnivores and mesocarnivores have redundant impacts on intertidal prey? PLOS ONE. 12(1):e0170255. [PDF]
- Suraci JP, Roberts DJ, Clinchy M, Zanette LY (2017) Fearlessness towards extirpated large carnivores may exacerbate the impacts of naïve mesocarnivores. Behavioral Ecology. 28:439-447. [PDF]
- Suraci JP, Clinchy M, Mugerwa B, Delsey M, Macdonald D, Smith JA, Wilmers CC, Zanette LY (2016) A new Automated Behavioural Response system to integrate playback experiments into camera trap studies. Methods in Ecology and Evolution. doi: 10.1111/2041-210X.12711.
- Clinchy M, Zanette LY, Roberts D, Suraci JP, Buesching C, Newman C, Macdonald D (2016) Fear of the human "super predator" exceeds that of extant and extinct large carnivores in a model mesocarnivore. Behavioral Ecology. 27:1826-1832. [PDF]
- Suraci JP, Clinchy M, Dill LM, Roberts D, Zanette LY (2016) Fear of large carnivores causes a trophic cascade. Nature Communications. 7:10698. [PDF]
- Suraci JP, Clinchy M, Zanette LY, Currie MA, Dill LM (2014) Mammalian mesopredators on islands directly impact both terrestrial and marine communities. Oecologia 176:1087-1100.
- Zanette LY, Clinchy M, Suraci JP (2014) Diagnosing predation risk effects on demography: can measuring physiology provide the means? Oecologia 176:637-651.
- Robinson JPW, White ER, Wiwchar LD, Claar DC, Suraci JP, Baum JK (2014) The limitations of diversity metrics in directing global marine conservation. Marine Policy 48:123-125.
- Suraci JP and Dill LM (2013) Short timescale rate maximization by gulls and implications for predation on size-structured prey. Behavioral Ecology, 24: 280–292.
- Suraci JP and Dill LM (2011) Energy intake, kleptoparasitism risk, and prey choice by Glaucous-winged Gulls (Larus glaucescens) foraging on sea stars. Auk, 128: 643-650.
- Kilburn VL, Ibáñez R, Sanjur O, Bermingham E, Suraci JP, Green DG (2011) Ubiquity of the Pathogenic Chytrid Fungus, Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis, in Anuran Communities in Panamá. EcoHealth, 7: 537-548.